Harmonium temperament/ tuning

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 06:50:35 -0000

Have been reading the posts re. tuning of these wonderful instruments.? !
I have had some experience with these honeys, and in my opinion, we
shouldn't "complicate" matters as to what pitch they're in.. Most
times I have found them to be in questionable condition. Very much like
a piano which hasn't been tuned properly for a long time. Hard to tell if the
piano should be at A435 or ? ? ? ? I feel the same about these beauties.
" YOU " must decide the pitch to tune them to, but my problem is with the tuning
mechanics . I would suggest getting a flat tool similar to a razor blade, but
longer
and not sharp.! !  It must be thin so it can be inserted under the reed tongue, so
tuning
can take place.
Determine if the reed is flat or sharp of desired pitch.  A fine file, like one
used for sharpening saws would be appropriate. For smaller reeds, a file can be
obtained
at a jewellers shop . When a reed is filed near the moving tip, it becomes
lighter, so will
vibrate faster. When it is filed near the base, it makes the reed heavier at the
tip so will
vibrate slower, thus lowering pitch. A tighter string vibrates faster, in a piano.
( no ? )
If the reed is flat, low in pitch, insert the tool under the" end" of the reed and
make 2 or 3 swipes of the file near the end of the reed. File should follow a
parallel path to the reed, and not a steep path. If the reed is sharp,  insert the
tool further under the reed so filing can take place about a 1/3 of the distance
from the rivet which holds the reed in place. File across the reed in this area,
taking care not to file all things around , including adjoining reeds, etc.
I have usually tuned these reeds aurelly, orelly,  orally , . . . .  uh ,   ...
by ear. ( aurally )
An ETD is very handy in determining pitch of other reeds which appear allright.
Care
must be taken, or a reed can be ruined very quickly. ( no need to ask how I know,
is there )

Carl / Winnipeg