plate warping in 1877 Steinway B?

Ron Shaffer ron1685@yahoo.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:10:32 -0800 (PST)

I am certain the pinblock is at the exact height of
the original one. The piano has a full plate, but it
did not sit on dowels when the plate was pulled 5
months ago, nor was there a wooden spacer(I don't know
whether the plate was pulled previously - certainly
possible). I was told the tail did pop-up considerably
when it was loosened. Thanks for all the good advice.
- Ron

> I am assisting a technician who has replaced the
> pinblock and board in a Steinway B. The frame has
been out of the piano for about 5 months. As we are
fitting
> it back in, it is not at all close to sitting
tightly
> on the front or rear sections of the inner rim. If I
> clamp the front down tightly, the rear (tail) will
> raise about three inches (the new pinblock is
exactly
> where the old one was). Is this normal? I was
worried
> that bolting it down that much would stress the
plate. Thanks.