Humidistat Accuracy

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:22:22 -0600

Hi Terry,

Please give us a bit more information. I think you have a Boston Piano?
Grand? Upright? Bottom Cover (or back cover)? How many dehumidifier rods?
How far from soundboard is Humidistat? How far is hum from humidifier? How
far is hum from drier bar(s)? Three light kind? Smart Bar? How long did you
leave your probe on top of the humidistat? Did you chart against barometric
pressure for a true R.H. reading?

At 04:15 PM 12/2/02 -0600, you wrote:

>>I have a big pile of copies of a full-color beautiful Damp-Chaser
>>marketing handout that describes how the use of their dehumidifier system
>>keeps the relative humidity (RH) of the atmosphere in the area of the
>>piano soundboard at maximum of 42% RH. Why is it that when I place the
>>probe of my NIST-certified 1% accuracy hygrometer on top of my Damp-Chaser
>>humidistat, it reads 55% RH? When I place the probe on top of the
>>soundboard it reads 55%. When I place the probe in the middle of the room
>>where the piano resides, it reads 55%. The heater rods are not warm. The
>>atmosphere next to the soundboard should be 42%. The room and  everywhere
>>else around the piano is 55% RH. The humidistat should turn on
>>at.......something near 42% RH.  I'm looking at the pretty
>>graph:  http://www.dampp-chaser.com/main.html  It suggests that RH won't
>>even come close to 55%. Where is the discrepancy?
>>
>>Terry Farrell

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.