[Experts] Tuning a Yamaha U3 upright piano

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:06:00 -0800

Tony:
	I don't know which one, but David Ilvedson sent the guy some
numbers to try with the program.  I'm guessing he may have enough info
already.  Thanks for the offer.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tony Caught
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 8:18 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: [Experts] Tuning a Yamaha U3 upright piano

Hi Paul,

There are two Tunelab programs 97 and Pro. Both can be downloaded and
used
at no cost. Try before you buy. Tunelab Pro US$ 375 approx, is easy to
set
up and Tunelab 97 US$34 approx, takes a bit of working out. Which one is
he
using ?.

You can download Tunelab Pro, measure C1,2,3,4,5,6 set the treble on 2:1
and
the bass on 6:3, level the bottom line and save the settings. Then close
Tunelab Pro, open Tunelab 97 and open the settings you saved in Tunelab
Pro
and you will have a reasonable stretch.

Tunelab programs are designed for Piano Tuners and as such do need at
times
a bit of fine tuning which can be done with the computer on the piano to
get
it close to the setting used by ear.

But first, which program has he got ?

Regards

Tony Caught
Darwin Australia
caute@bigpond.com

Behalf
> > > Of SteveBrown007@cs.com
> > > Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 10:59 PM
> > > To: experts@ptg.org
> > > Subject: [Experts] Tuning a Yamaha U3 upright piano
> > >
> > > I have a Yamaha U3, 52-inch upright piano which I tune myself,
although
> > > I am not a professional piano tuner. I use a computer with TuneLab
> > > software to set the pitches, using various partials. So far, I
have
been
> > > unable to arrive at a stretch that sounds correct to my ears. Has
anyone
> > > with experience tuning the Yamaha U3 a list of stretch values for
that
> > > piano? If so, I would be pleased to obtain such a list. Any help
will
be