piano at outside wall

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 07:18:16 -0500

Friends,

This request brings another question to my mind.  Has any one of us
actually seen a piano damaged, or experienced tuning instability, solely
because it was placed by an outside wall, above ground level?  Or is
this a situation where common sense would say it is inadvisable but
there is no proof?

Regardless of answers I receive, I will still alert my clients to the
potential problems of putting a piano there in an uninsulated house.

I did find mold or mildew inside an old upright against an outside wall
in a church basement, but I've found the same thing in a piano located
on an inside wall on the main floor of an occupied house.  In both cases
the humidity level was obviously too high somewhere along the line.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA