Plate Pin Problems

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 09:10:08 -0500

The holes I have seen are drilled straight, as are the new ones I have made. Friction holds the pin in place. If I run across a slightly loose one and I don't want to change its location, I can either use a bigger diameter pin (center and front rail pins work fine), or I have also put a dab of thick epoxy in to fill whatever gap there might be between the fit of the pin in the plate.

When I drill a new one, I drill on the angle I want the pin.

Never had one pop out.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac OLEG" <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>
To: <tune4u@earthlink.net>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 6:21 AM
Subject: RE: Plate Pin Problems

Hello,

I don't believe the hole in the plate is cone shaped, but others have may be
better understanding than me.

Once hammered, I had no problem with the 2 pins I changed yet (but I had
them from Steinway).

May be it is better to glue the pin or use CA. When popping out the old pin
may be enlarge the hole a bit ?

I can't see why pins may be bend, the hole may be slightly angled I presume,
but I remember noticing bend pins on some cheap pianos.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG