Economic crisis/music industry

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:59:22 EDT

List

In general, the terrorist attack has created a world wide recession, towards
which this country, and probably the world, was heading in the first place.
Before 9/11, the travel industry was in trouble already. Even though many
people were flying, and going all over the place, most airlines were loosing
money, or at best, were just barely able to stay afloat. Midway Airlines was
in such bad shape that they had to close down operations immediately. TWA has
been loosing money for years, as were other smaller airlines. If it had not
been for the terrorist attack, some airlines would have had to lay off
workers any way.

Of course with the travel industry comes the hotel and entertainment
industry. Then Now I just heard that GM is laying off thousands of workers,
and shutting down some plants. I am sure all of you are seeing ads on TV
encouraging people to keep buying. When you don't have a job, it's hard to
justify taking a trip, or buying a new car.

Unfortunately, the recession will last about a year, and it will get worse
before it gets better. All we, in the piano industry, can do is do the best
we can. It will mean fewer tunings, but don't forget, even with 10%
unemployment, 90% are still working. And those people deserve the best we can
give them.

Good luck, everyone.

Wim