Unstable C5 Grand

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@home.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:02:04 -0700

Benny,
Sounds like  real mystery. FWIW, I think maybe the strings are starting =
to "neck" at the rendering points. That is, thinning and stretching due =
to very aggressive playing that is probably going on. That and a host of =
other things like loose tuning pins or your hammer technique in setting =
pins with a"mushy" feel. Do you notice that this piano is hard to tune? =
Do you find that the tuning pins turn easily, but the string just =
doesn't seem to want to render (move thru bearing points), then it moves =
all at once, sometimes overshooting where you'd really like it to wind =
up? Typical of older Yamahas where the string is corroded and sticks on =
the under felt and everywhere else. The best way to set the string for =
this type of situation is to tune from the bottom, that is, bringing the =
pitch of the string up from below pitch to just exactly the place you =
want it to be. Never try to "bump" the string from above the correct =
place back down into place. It won't work. If the piano is sharp as most =
pianos near the end of the high humidity season are right now, you need =
to knock the strings below pitch, then bring them up as per above. You =
can try hosing down the area with Protec to lubricate the felt and =
bearing points but I have never had great success with that method. The =
piano with that condition really needs to be restrung.
Other things to explore: Broken or cracked strut (unlikely). Loose =
pinblock. Nah, whole areas would be going out of pitch and you didn't =
say that. Very high tuning pins in the block coupled with mushy tuning =
pin bushings. Are there tied strings in that area and are they =
unwinding? Try replacing a string and follow it closely for a few weeks. =
Could be the wire is just getting tired. :-)
Good luck, and let us know what seems to work out best in this =
situation. I for one, would really like to know.
Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@home.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20