sanderson Bass strings/scale

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:52:47 +0000

At 2:02 PM -0800 11/30/01, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>Well, now I'm really confused. Just what did you mean when you wrote:
>
>"To change the wire gauges on a Steinway is deliberately to change the
>character of the tone -- and inevitably for the worse.  The long
>bridge on Steinways is correctly shaped and positioned for the
>Steinway sound, which comes from a relatively short, low-tension
>scaling.  In my opinion, it's the height of presumption to alter
>this.....

OK, let's get it clear.  I wrote this in a certain context, namely in
response to a message reporting a drastic alteration of the wire
gauges on the existing and original bridge and board of a Model O.
The report reflected in no wise on your practice and my response was
in no wise intended to diminish your work and practice, for which,
from what I've heard from you, I have much admiration.  Here we had a
case, reportedly, of someone considerably changing the loading and
the stiffness of the strings, perhaps with the aim of getting closer
to some "ideal" such as "even tension" and as a result not only
adding pressure to the soundboard but also stiffening strings which
were probably quite stiff enough, if not too stiff, to start with.
Dale Erwin did not give details of the exact wire gauges that had
been used but from the results that he reported on the two pianos
with the modified gauges and later with the reversion to the original
scale, it's pretty clear what sort of changes were made and that the
effect was bad.

2.  I always measure the plain wire scale on every piano I restring,
including Steinways.  In most cases I make some changes to even out
the scale without altering the bridge.  Some pianos will allow more
beneficial changes than others given the existing bridge; others will
hardly benefit at all.  With Steinway grands the changes will be
minimal, not because I think Steinway scaling is perfect, but because
there's very little room for manoeuvre.

3.  Nearly all the grands and uprights I have rebuilt would certainly
have benefited from a bridge in a different location and of a
different shape, that I've known for twenty years, and the scales on
some famous European pianos are appaling due to the bridge.  If my
customers had bottomless purses, most of them would be advised to
have the bridge altered.  I'd love to have a clientele of really rich
musical people who would spend the money to have their piano made
better than it was originally, but it's difficult enough to persuade
them to have a frenchpolished glass finish at a minimum of 120 man
hours.  The work you and others do with bridges, especially the
transition bridge, interests me a lot.  I doubt if I'll follow your
path at this stage in my career because I shall have little enough
time to put my ideas into practice in the new grand where I don't
have to worry about other makers' cast iron and rib-work getting in
the way!  Another consideration here is the simple question of added
value.  From what I've seen on the web, good second-hand pianos,
particularly Steinways, are vastly more expensive in America than
here.  The English are famous for buying cheap and if they can get a
Bechstein grand ready "restored" in the best cellulose or polyester
by Joe Bloggs for £6,000, they're going to think a lot before paying
me £8,000 to rebuild one they already own.  With the price of Kawai
well under £20,000 they also have a very good option.

To sum up, my own practice and yours would probably differ only in
the detail if I were to take rebuilding to the lengths that you and
others in America take it.  I've seen enough of and rebuilt enough of
other makers' pianos and am content nowadays simply to make the very
best job of what I choose to restore and concentrate on the new piano.

JD