sanderson Bass strings/scale

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:46:33 +0000

At 9:15 AM -0800 11/30/01, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>Sorry, John. Obviously I've offended you. I guess it was just my
>over-reaction to being informed that, in your opinion, I was both
>presumptuous (for thinking I could improve Steinway pianos by altering their
>perfectly shaped and located bridges)

On the contrary, I said more than once that reshaping and relocating
bridges was perfectly acceptable and often very desirable:-

_________________________

__________________________

__________________________

>  and stupid (for altering the stringing scale on those hundreds of
>Steinway grands I rebuilt over the years and thinking their sound
>actually improved as a result).

Presumably you have altered the scale slightly on those pianos where
you have not altered the bridge and altered the scale more radically
in the other cases, where your redesigning of the bridge in the light
of a wholly better string scale has allowed you to apply better
principles.  Where's the argument?  That's precisely what I have said
and I have no doubt of your skills or the excellence of your results.
I just wish you'd learn to read better and not jump to conclusions.

JD