Was Sandrsn bss/stwy strike line

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:32:14 EST

        Del,John, David L.

         Thanks for the reply. To me each  opinion is experience and personal
bias. That's what makes them valuable.

           The other issue about stwy string scales are the floating hammer
strike lines. Del wrote about filing hammers to death to get the killer
octave to speak but more often than not I find the upper strike lines to be
so finicky as to often hang parts of those two sections twice in order to
find the optimal hammer strike placement.  A stingy sustain and a very weak
nasal sound with the soft pedal shifted are dead give away that your strike
line is not were it should be. It really doesn't matter what model were
talking about either but Stwy B D and A models are particularly notorious.
        The most often fix looks like a small horseshoe shape in the hammer
line right at in the octave six area with note c 64 being the hammer that is
usually pulled in the furthest towards the front of the piano. Often it's
pulled in 1/8" or more.The horsehoe starts about note 60 and usually ends
about note 69.
      Most of us have done hammer placements at note 88 area and placement
there is made by pulling the action in and out to find the sweet spot. The
same is done for the 6 octave. I place tape on the keybed to reference to
play the notes with and without the soft pedal on and mark on the tape the
location of the best sound for each note. Pull the hammers and rehang and the
sustain power and soft pedal shift tones are way better. Obvious voicing
problems should be checked before and after placement and rectified
accordingly.

     In the case of the sanderson rescaled O's posted previously not only was
the revised string scale choking the tone but the strike lines were in the
wrong place compounding the problem of the extreme tension change for the
existing new board ( Yes Del ) with the original rib scale.

    Food for thought and discussion------Dale Erwin