Almatadema Piano

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:44:07 -0500

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 05:17 PM, Farrell wrote:

> Hi folks. Got a call from a local asking me what a "frieze" might be
> on a
> piano. She said she thought it might have something to do with the
> case/woodwork. And she said the context she saw the word in had to do
> with
> an apparently well-known expensive piano referred to as the Almatadema
> piano. Anyone know what "Frieze" means??? Thanks.

"Frieze. A decoration or series of decorations forming an ornamental
band around a room, mantel, etc."

I think you're referring to an art case Steinway (D?) currently at the
Clark Museum of Williamstown, MA. It looks incredibly gaudy in
photographs, but in person -- WOW! Plus they're got it in front of
several huge paintings by Almatadema (sp?), so it's truly in its
element. It's the sort of thing mega-millionaires spent their money on
about 100 years ago.
Check it out if you're ever in the northwest corner of Massachusetts.

Patrick Draine
Billerica, MA