Grand Regulation Compromises

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:49:49 +1100

Terry et all,

>Thanks Kjell.  10mm equals about 0.394 inches. Believe me, I agree that the
>english system of measurements is quite a bit goofy. I was a scientist in a
>previous life and fully appreciate the simplicity and utility of the metric
>system. I also agree that regulation in the piano is best - but when you are
>starting out with a train wreck that needs repairs, etc., I like to do it in
>the shop.

Well you sound like you are on the way to becoming a seasoned
technician Terry. Your observations are 'by and large' pretty astute.
By the way, hows that digital overhead image cooking?

After years of regulating performance instruments, and taking note of
the preferences of a number of pianists, I have settled on a key dip
of 10.25 mm. I have found that a 10.5 dip will yield the occasional
"it's too deep" complaint, and vice versa with 10.0 mm. Obviously,
the center of 'public preference' has come about in part from the
individual's experience with a number of different instruments, but
setting the dip to a figure which will satisfy the greatest number of
pianist is to be recommended, provided that the action in question
will function well at that setting.

You're onto it when you suggest that altering the blow distance is
the preferred variable for achieving the desired after touch.
Further, since most actions are set up with the jack/knuckle contact
well below the line of centres, bringing the strike up will generally
improve the overall dynamic performance of the action.

It is also worth noting that the nominal factory settings won't
necessarily function properly in every case. Since an out of spec.
capstan line or action stack positioning will cause all sorts of
complications with regard to regulation. Therefore, it is always good
practice to completely regulate a few sample notes before plunging
into a full 30 hour reg, only to find that it won't function properly
when set to a factory standard.

I'd also support those who have reservations about bench regulating.
At best, it will get you within the ballpark. This is fine if its an
action rebuild, where the first reg is basically to get the thing
playing. But for the final result, 'in the piano' is the way to
travel.

Best,

Ron O.
--