Grand Regulation Compromises

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:12:46 -0500

>  think I'd go with the 10mm dip (that's pretty much where I _start_

Ah, but where is the 10 mm measured?  Huh?  Twiddle, twiddle, twiddle.

Ok folks, listen up.  Take out your favorite micrometer and measure the
height of the two corners at the front of the block with the anvil
perfectly flat to the bottom of the block.  There will likely be a
discrepancy between the two corners so you will need to sand the block
so the two are equal.  Then write the new measurement on the block in
bold black numbers and get out those other three or ten blocks hanging
around and do the same for them.

Now you have a set of calibrated blocks that you can choose from to do a
particular job.  All I have to do is look at the bottom of each  block
and I know what I have in hand.  On the job, if I want it .005" deeper
than the block I start with a .005 paper and when I am finished I remove
that paper and go to the next key.

When we are all taking measurements from the same points we will have a
better communication.

Have a nice day all.

		Newton