Grand Regulation Compromises

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:30:41 -0600

Hi Terry,

I have to pretty much agree with Kjell. I was going to say about the same
thing but that post beat me to it. :-)

I don't do much regulation on anything but Steinway, Baldwin (new
Wurlitzers) and Yamaha anymore, but back in my previous life :-), I think
I'd go with the 10mm dip (that's pretty much where I _start_ on everything
now), make sure the jacks are correct in relation to the knuckle, and then
set the hammer blow on white key guides in each section to get the
aftertouch you want. You could also vary the dip +/- a "little", if needed.
Then set the sharps to match the aftertouch of the white keys. I'm
assuming you have to work with what's already there.

I'm also assuming that key height is good in relation to case parts and
sharps no more that 1/2" above the white keys. Right? :-) They "could" even
be lower, if necessary, as long as they don't "bury" at full dip.

This probably doesn't tell you any more than you already know, but just
thought I'd put in my 2-cents worth.

Avery