Grand Regulation Compromises

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:05:02 -0500

Dear Regulatory Experts:

I am doing a bench regulation on a 1972 Aeolian grand action. Keys are
level. Specs say 1-3/4" blow, 1/16" letoff, and 3/8" dip. Sounds about
right. Set hammer line for 1-3/4" blow and letoff to 1/16" and I need about
0.44" of dip with 0.050" aftertouch. To get the dip down to 0.4", I need to
reduce blow dist. to 1-1/2", or have minimum aftertouch.

So the question is, three-fold:

First, I could reduce aftertouch, but I hate to do that because this is a
non-performance piano that will likely not see another regulation in its
lifetime - I want to leave some room for settling/wear.

Second, 0.44" is too much dip for the average joe, is it not? Surely we want
Mrs. Fiddleaboutthepiano to enjoy the feel of her keyboard! Waddaya think on
this?

Third, seems to me the easiest and least offensive compromise to make is to
lessen blow distance to 1-1/2". I suppose this will weaken the power of this
magnificent piano a bit - but come to think of it, I can't really imagine
this piano sounding any worse - maybe a little quieter will be better!!!
Waddaya think of that?

Where would you go with this compromise? Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell