Virii????

Brian Lawson, RPT lawsonic@global.co.za
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:18:02 +0200

Hi Conrad, if you mean SULFNBK.EXE then whoops! it is NOT a virus, but a
Hoax - it is in fact an important file which windows uses - ask me how I
know this one.

ref:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.
html

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: 26 November, 2001 09:22 PM
Subject: Re: Virii????

At 12:34 11/26/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I just downloaded two empty messages addressed to me, rather than
>pianotech. One showed a return address of Lee C Haynes, which triggered a
>popup saying I requested to download and run a .scr file, and asking
>permission to do so. I declined and deleted it. The other had a return
>address of Joe Goss, but was just empty. These return addresses were
>probably sifted from someone's mailbox who has a virus or worm and hasn't
>discovered it yet.
>
>Everyone take a few minutes and check your system for cooties.
>
>Ron N

Thanks, Ron.

Today my virus scan got "fun.mp3.pif".  I'd advise everybody doing a file
search for .pif files and deleting.

-SULNFBK.EXE is another virus which came about two weeks ago.  It was still
in my recycle bin. No more.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)
=== Note new area code ===

...and when it worked the first time I darned near broke my arm patting
myself on the back!