Flag-poling: a way of life, or...?

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:51:38 EST

In a message dated 11/25/01 1:48:23 PM, Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<< To flagpole a pin to get the string in tune, but not rendering the
pin is wrong. But to bend the pin and rendering it, or setting it, thus
rendering the string, is the right. >>

I read this a couple of times and thought about it.  I think I do both.
After turning the pin, I do use a bit of downward pressure to the left.  This
would be rendering the pin---making sure it's not torqued.  Then I flagpole
upward, pulling the string sharp as it is drawn past the pressure bar, and
then a downward relaxation of the pin to settle the string and put it at
pitch.  After all of this I do a "waggle" of the pin (I call it the Graham
Waggle for the RPT who taught it to me) and if the pin stays in tune after
the waggle, it's stabilized, and it won't go anywhere.

I dunno---seems to work for me.

Tom Sivak