Flag-poling: a way of life, or...?

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:19:15 EST

I wonder how many of you on the list manipulate the pin vertically (on a
vertical piano, that is...).   Having started out with the Randy Potter
course, it specifically states that the tuning hammer is not a slot machine,
and no vertical movement should be used, and then tells you that the last
motion to set the pin is DOWNWARD and to the left.  At my recent tutoring
session in Reno I was tuning A4 to match the tuning fork and began to
flagpole it to zero it in, and my tutor took the tuning hammer away from me
and adamantly informed me I should NEVER move the pin vertically like that.
Then, of course, I watched him do the same thing!

Is this something we all do, but no one will admit to it or is unaware that
they are doing it?

I remember back when I started with that Randy Potter course going to the
Cultural Arts Center in Chicago and coming across a tuner working on a piano.
 It seemed all of his motions were vertical!  This was taboo according to
Potter!  Yet here he was, tuning a piano for the Cultural Arts Center---he
must be good, I figured!

The only man I know who not only admits to flagpoling, but teaches it is Nick
Kircher, a local RPT, who taught me that vertical manipulation of the pin
helps to render the string and also helps to find a good "resting point" for
the pin.  Since using this tecnique I have found my tunings to be very
stable.

I also find it easier to make subtle changes of pitch as I zero in on a good
unison with this technique than actually turning the pin.  I generally get
the pitch slightly sharp (by turning the pin) and then flagpole it even
sharper, then relaxing it downward to its resting point.  To be stable the
pin must rest not high nor low, but comfortably in the middle of that
vertical range.

I do use it less on grands than verticals, but it still works well in the
upper register.  (The only piano I have come across that this technique will
not work at all is the Steinway upright.)

Flame me if you will, but I confess: I flagpole and I believe it helps me
achieve a more stable tuning.

Any comments?

Tom Sivak