Longitudinal vibration

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 23:26:35 -0800 (PST)

I have been reading only part of the discussion on long. modes, so
I may be repeating what others have already said.

A simple experiment which shows a relationship between Long. modes
and Trans. modes is to take a string which has a decided Long. mode
whistle and slightly detune the transverse mode and hear the
increase or decrease of the peak as the transverse mode frequency
changes with respect to its nearest longitudinal modes. In this
respect primarily design does affect these relationships. I'm not
sure how this may affect the aliquot lengths however.

As I understand some of the work my brother Bob has done with
Michael Wathen in Cincinnati, it is possible to pick up vibration
in any segment of the string either longitudinally or transversally
by the direction of the pickup.
I'm copying this email to him to see if he has some definite
experimental data to confirm whether or not one mode is causative
of the other. Also he should be able to tell what is the
relationship of the duplex part of a string and the longitudinal
mode of the speaking length.

If he has time, he will get back to me or to this list. That's
neither a threat nor a promise.

Jim Coleman, Sr.