compression waves

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 21:42:55 -0600

>Perhaps.  I wasn't trying to belittle the discussion.  It
>was an honest question.  But I am having difficulty seeing
>the utility.  The discussion seems to be more of one along
>the lines of knowledge for its own sake rather than
>knowledge that has an application.  There's nothing wrong
>with that but it doesn't interest me.  It's the difference
>in personality between the scientist and the engineer.  I'm
>an engineer.

And as an engineer, you've never gone back in memory and experience for a
concept or piece of information that you (possibly reluctantly) accumulated
years ago with absolutely no practical application at the time, that proved
to be exactly what you needed now? At any given moment, 99.99999% of our
education is utterly useless - until a moment comes when we need some part
of it. Which means that most of our education is useless all of the time,
but we never know what to learn and what not to learn until it's too late.
Though in this case, it may be too late.

>>>3.  Are the vibrations excited in the duplex portions
>>>transverse or longitudinal?
>>
>>Both.
>
>I thought there was some dispute about this.

There was, and is.

Ron N