a Bechstein from DC

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:57:08 -0500

>  is there any significant difference in corrosion
> resistance between nickel plated and blued tuning pins?

There should be but there isn't.

Original bluing was done with acid and an oven.  The acid promoted
corrosion, the heat fixed and neutralized the process.  The end result
was a coating of corrosion that blocked further corrosion and came out a
beautiful dark blue.  This is a time consuming process.  Good firearms
are true blued.

What we see on tuning pins is more akin to paint than bluing and they
are subject to greater corrosion than a well nickeled pin in damp
climates.  There is a reason for using chrome and nickel in pianos.

		Newton