Compression waves

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:48:21 +0000

At 5:27 PM -0600 11/20/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>That JASA article I mentioned went into better detail, and the patent text
>is considerably more detailed than either. If you can actually get a look
>at it.
>
>I installed a plug in for the new Tiff standard a couple of years ago when
>I had the same problem. Try this:   http://www.alternatiff.com/  I'm
>running Netscape, but I assume it will work with IE. I hope. If not, let me
>know and I'll see if I can pull them into anything else I have here and
>convert them to something friendlier.

No luck so far.  I clicked the help button at uspto and there they
admit that their files are unreadable by all human software (I'm
afraid my opinions of Netscape are unprintable!).  I've downloaded 7
megabyte of the latest QuickTime for the Mac and the result is no
better, and they recommend alternatiff for use on Windows.  What a
mess!  I've wasted hours.  I guess the British Patent Office started
later and got things right from the start because their site is
extremely fast and displays images of the older patents at a very
impressive rate - just as jpegs I think.

If you can find a way of sending me the images, I'll scan them into
an OCR program and let the list have a text version, but don't go out
of your way.

JD