Helmholtz and Steinway

Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:32:50 -0800

Re: Helmholtz and Steinway
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Delacour=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: November 19, 2001 1:30 PM
  Subject: Re: Helmholtz and Steinway

    Sigh. Now you've gone and done it! I'm going to have to build a =
mono-chord and test a bunch of stuff I'm really not interested in right =
now. But I am curious.

  Have you, Del, or you Ron O, ever allowed longitudinal wave =
considerations to affect your scale calculations?  I think we should be =
told.

    And why is that?=20

    Let's just say I worked with the concepts some while at Baldwin. The =
scales I worked on then ended up without SyncroTone scaling. The =
concepts are perfectly valid. Using Mr Conklin's techniques you are, =
indeed, able to design bass strings that control the longitudinal mode =
harmonics of the speaking length and cause them to fall on a harmonic =
that is not dissident. However, to do so requires making some rather =
wild note-to-note jumps in both core wire diameter and wrap wire =
diameter that makes it impossible to maintain a smooth tension, power =
and inharmonicity curves. The variations in acoustical power and tone =
color were more noticeable and more objectionable than were the odd =
longitudinal mode harmonics.

    In the side by side tests we did, nearly everybody preferred the =
tone performance of the bass string scaling that did not use SyncroTone =
scaling techniques but did maintain smooth tension, power and =
inharmonicity sweeps.=20

    Del