key leveling -- crown?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:52:50 -0500

MessageThanks Dale. The thought of using shims had occurred to me, but =
had not tried it out yet. Your additional procedure of doing a few dips =
accurately in the piano, and then replicating them on the bench should =
indeed eliminate some uncertainty and get you pretty darn close. Thanks =
for the tip.

I think sometimes the difference between folks that do all their =
leveling in the home and those that prefer to do it in the shop, is that =
some techs have a lot of high-performance pianos to maintain and their =
leveling consists of perfecting a not-so-horrible keyboard. I like the =
shop because almost all my leveling jobs are these =
never-been-leveled-in-82-years jobs plus they need major regulation, =
minor repairs, file off a half-inch of hammer felt, etc. So, I think =
shop leveling does have its place.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dale Probst=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 3:07 PM
  Subject: RE: key leveling -- crown?

  Carl & Terry,
  Bed the keyframe, adjust the glides and set samples of dip in the =
piano before you bring the keyboard into the shop. Then when you clamp =
the keyframe to your bench, use shims to duplicate the dip on your =
samples. Don't adjust the glides in the shop. When you take the keyboard =
back you should be pretty accurate in the piano and just have touchup to =
do.
  Best,
  Dale
  Dale Probst, RPT