key leveling -- crown?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:28:37 -0500

"They should be 'hung'_on_the front side of the backcheck."

Where does one start with a suggestion like this? This is kinda like =
telling the little kid with his face in the cereal bowl - "why don't you =
try the spoon?"

I have jammed a few actions into their cavity with the dog-gonned lead =
hanging off the back only to ram into the underlevers - and spout out a =
few choice words.

Ya know, maybe next time I will use the leads......but hang them on the =
front side of the backchecks! I'm just sittin' here scratching my head =
wondering how in the world something so obvious could elude me (and =
others also???) for so long.

Thank you Jon. Thank you. Thank you.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 1:45 PM
  Subject: Re: key leveling -- crown?

  At 10:29 AM 11/18/2001 -0800, you wrote:

    Sure sounds like something is moving.  If you find out just what, =
I'd like
    to know.

    I always clamp the key frame to make sure it is in contact with the =
bench.
    Sometimes even in the middle of the front rail.  I haven't actually =
leveled
    that many keys.  It's more fun to make tools than to use them.  I'm =
only
    half joking when I say maybe you should use go bars all over the =
frame.

    The problem, as someone suggested, in leveling in the piano, is that =
there
    is no room to install the weights on the backchecks, the stack isn't =
on
    (that may affect the height) and you have to sit so low that it is
    uncomfortable.

    I'm assuming you use the weights hanging off the backchecks.  They =
are
    probably heavier than the stack.  All these small variables add up, =
but I
    still feel doing at least the major leveling on the bench is more
    productive.  Especially when you are refelting the whole keybed.

    Let me know if you come up with any ideas as to why that is =
happening.

    Thanks;

    Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
    Santa Clara, California
    cmpiano@home.com

  I would like to mention something about the attachment of the clip-on =
lead weights.
  They should not be 'hung'_off_the back of the backcheck. This has a =
tendency to lift
  the front of the key higher than the weight of the action would, =
giving it a false height.

  They should be 'hung'_on_the front side of the backcheck. The action =
will fit better
  into the action cavity.

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician