Unsolicited compliment and a thought on temperament.

Brian Trudgeon briant@inet.co.za
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:10:49 +0200

Greetings list.

I have been a lurker for a number of months now.

Having had my piano in storage for approximately eight years I moved it into
our home earlier this year, and after such a period of neglect I decide I
would educate myself about pianos/piano tuning before going through my usual
process of picking up the yellow pages and selecting the piano tuner who
would do the job the soonest. On the web I encountered www.ptg.org and was
intrigued to see it was as much science as art at which point I decided to
look for a RPT in South Africa (and subscribe to the list) I found the name
Brian Lawson, one of perhaps two RPT's in South Africa. I dropped him an
E-Mail and to my surprise found he lives with in walking distance from my
home. ( To think I went all the way to the USA to locate a person living in
my own suburb)

Finally three weeks ago he came to tune my piano, and all I will say is that
he is a credit to the profession. I had no idea the piano would sound so
good after having stood neglected for so long. I was also astounded at how
the lost motion being adjusted for, improved the touch of the piano. Brian
also took the time to field a heap of questions.
It was nice to see someone pay such attention to my piano. As a consumer it
was nice to feel like I got more than my moneys worth. Thanks Brian. For
anyone who is interested the pitch raise and tuning was accomplished using
one mute (papps I think), hammer and tuning fork.

 It left me with some points to ponder. My piano sounds nicer than it ever
did after any tuning it had before. I can't make up my mind if it was badly
tuned previously or if possibly it was tuned to Reverse Well (as per Bill
Bremmer's explanation of how this happens)? . At least I have learnt that
all is not "equal" as one browses through the list of piano tuners  in the
yellow pages. From here on out I will only call one technician.

I promise the Piano won't be left for eight years again, that was purely
circumstantial. Prior to storage it was tuned at least once a year

Thanks to all on this list. It's nice to see people passionate about what
they do as opposed to viewing it as just another job.

Brian Trudgeon.
switching to lurk mode.
http://www.geocities.com/furzl123

You can judge your age by the amount of pain you feel when you come
in contact with a new idea.
-  Anonymous