Helmholtz and Steinway

Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:05:04 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 18, 2001 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Helmholtz and Steinway

> You still seem to be regarding the bridge as an impediment to the
> lengthwise waves.  My view of these waves is that they travel along
> the wire itself and will no more be affected by areas of contact or
> shallow bends than the light waves passing along an optical fibre.
> Overhead power cables sing when current is passing through them and
> when a telegraph wire is carrying a phone converstation, it whistles.
> I'm not saying there's an analogy here, but there could well be.
>
> JD

I certainly hope not. This isn't apples and oranges, more like prunes and
pomegranates. Or prunes and potatoes. Fiber optic cables, and the light
traveling through them, do bear some resemblance to telegraph wires, and the
electrical current traveling through them, do bear some resemblance to each
other but neither is remotely similar to a piano string winding its way
through a couple of offset bridge pins and across the top of a bridge.

Del