Helmholtz and Steinway

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:21:28 -0600

>>and if these longitudinal vibrations pass so easily directly
>>across the bridge that they excite the rear duplex, then you should be able
>>to pluck the rear duplex segment and get a fundamental tone from the
>>speaking length of that same string....
>
>That does not follow.  First of all, the only transverse oscillations
>you could possibly excite in the speaking length by plucking the back
>length would be the fundamental of the back length and its upper
>partials.

It follows very well. Yesterday, a longitudinal wave passing across the
capo was your explanation for how plucking the front duplex produced the
fundamental of the speaking length in the speaking length. You indicated
that the Steinway patent supported your idea, and since the patent
specified that the same longitudinal vibrations excite the rear duplex just
like the front, then plucking the rear duplex should produce the
fundamental in the speaking length by the same mechanism. It doesn't. By
your reasoning in refuting my observations, the only transverse
oscillations you could possibly excite in the speaking length by plucking
the front duplex length would also be the fundamental of the front length
and its upper partials. You have already reported this isn't the case.

>I think it would probably be wrong to presume in any case that the
>plucking action is similar to the blow of a hammer and will produce
>similar waves.  We know very well this is not so from the difference
>in the immediate tone colour produced by the two methods, so we can
>imagine there are other great differences too, especially as regards
>lengthwise waves.

No, actually, I can't imagine any differences at all that would account for
the fact that what are presumed to be identical effects in both instances
which, when initiated from the other direction will in one instance produce
one result, and in the other instance an entirely different result.

If I seem to be considering the bridge to be an impediment to longitudinal
waves, then I haven't clearly explained myself. I have been, and remain
convinced that longitudinal waves do not cross bridges to excite rear
duplexes. Nor do they obviously cross bridges from the duplex side to
excite the speaking length. Lacking any evidence or argument more plausible
and corresponding to observable effects than those I've given, I'll remain
convinced pending more reasonable evidence.

>Overhead power cables sing when current is passing through them and
>when a telegraph wire is carrying a phone converstation, it whistles.
>I'm not saying there's an analogy here, but there could well be.
>
>JD

There could be, but I sure don't see it either.

Ron N