key leveling -- crown?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:00:56 -0500

I've been doing all my key leveling on the bench also Carl - but with mixed
results. I thinks most of it depends on how flat the keybed is. But now I've
got a 1970s G.Steck Aeolian grand keyboard on my bench that I am regulating
& key leveling.

I bedded the keybed real good in piano before bringing to shop. Re-check
bedding on regulating table - pretty good - presumably piano must have flat
keybed (my regulating table is dead-on-flat). Remove stack, remove black
keys. Hmmmmmmm, bedding not so good now, seems center rail has risen up a
bit - reset glide bolts. Set my two end keys at 2-1/2 inch height, level
white keys. Remove all white keys except for couple on end and several here
and there to observe white key/black key height relationship, install all
black keys. Put level stick on WHITE keys and Wowha - all white keys are now
low - like in the 0.025" range. Check center rail - center rail is a tad off
regulating table. OK, so apparently the center rail flexes up and down, and
removing the white keys allows the center rail to go up a tad. But why then
would the white keys go down - they should go up.

But that is not the point. The point is clearly leveling keys is best in
piano - but I just love the bench. What about a dummy fake stack thingee
that you can place varying amounts of weight on to simulate the fully loaded
keybed. This would at least eliminate the problem of any keyframe flexing on
the bench. You would still have potential trouble with warped keybeds, but
this might help. Wadddayathink????

Terry Farrell