Charging overtime

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 07:41:45 EST

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I don't mean to open a can of dead worms, but could you expound a little on
> your system of calling people for tunings. This sounds like such an
> intrusion to me - that is why I don't do it. But if folks actually tell you
> they like it, well, I guess they must like it! And it sure seems to work
> for you!
>
> Could you give an example script of what you would say to Mrs.
> Typicalpianoclient at the first (or whenever) appointment? Then what do you
> say when you call. Maybe I'm overly concerned about intruding on their
> lives. I HATE telemarketers. And I know you are not in that role at all,
> because they have requested the call. But somehow I still kinda feel that
> way. Please tell me what conversations you go through to set this up.
>
> Thanks big time.

Terry

If Clyde's method of calling people will work for you, then by all means, go
ahead. But I have some thoughts on the matter. First of all, with today's
marketing on the telephone, people are much more aware of any kind of sales
pitches on the telephone. Most do not like to be called in the evening, no
matter what they are being offered or asked. As an example, several years
ago, in an attempt to drum up more business, I asked my wife to call
customers who hadn't had their piano tuned in 5 or more years. Although most
were polite, some didn't even want to hear her "spiel."  Since it wasn't
someone they knew, as soon as she introduced herself as being with a
"company," the automatic answer was "we don't want any," or "I'm not
interested."

The second reason for not calling is the time it takes. I used to call my
customers. But then Julie Berry gave a class on how to get repeat business by
sending out post cards,  and waiting for the customers to call. So I did an
experiment. Over a 6 month period I sent out post cards, one moth saying I
would call to schedule an appointment, and the next month asking them to call
me, and so forth. At the end of the six months, I could not see any
appreciable difference in my tuning income. That told me that those people
who want their piano tuned will call you, or will say yes when you cal them,
and those that do not want their piano tuned will not call you, or will say
no when you call them. So why spend 3 or 4 hours a week on the phone, when
you're income will not be any more, or less?

Wim