key levelling -- crown?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 07:06:57 EST

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Not complaining so much, but my point was that by doing something different,
> as in this case, when one talks about keyboard crown, one talks about all
> the others - and then there is Steinway. I think it is a marketing ploy to
> simple set Steinway apart from all the others at any level on conversation.
> Again, not saying anything negative about Steinway, but rather just
> offering an observation.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

I don't understand how having a crowned keybed, or any other ideas that
Steinway has come up with over the years that are different from other
makers, could be considered marketing "ploys." A middle pedal that doesn't do
anything is a marketing ploy. A grand style lid on a vertical is a marketing
ploy. But if a crowed keybed, a tubular steel action frame, and a monkey are
all marketing ploys, then I guess Steinway has done a pretty good job. But is
a slow fall fallboard a marketing ploy of Yamaha? Is a tension resonator a
marketing ploy of Mason & Hamlin? In other words, at what point are
innovations that make a piano better a marketing ploy, as opposed to a better
way to make a piano?

Wim