Duplex

Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:07:29 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> > But if massaging
> >then is supposed to accomplish this... how are we to ascertain when the
> >tensions
> >are really equal ?? If we were to go by sound then we would have to know in
> >advance just exactly what pitch these segments were supposed to sound at. And
> >there seemed to be a lot of reasonable argumentation made as to why this would
> >not be possible. You could get ball park results perhaps at best ?? And if we
> >dont go by sound ?? we dont carry string tension measuring devices around with
> >us do we ?? :)
>
> Exactly, which is precisely why a tuned rear duplex system is impossible to
> keep in tune without manually manipulating string segment tensions
> (assuming correctly positioned aliquots) with every tuning (referencing
> produced pitch comparisons from speaking length and rear duplex as tension
> indicators).

What ?? does that follow from the above quote ?...  read on.

> So if the tuned rear duplex can't stay tuned without manually
> tuning it each time, and nobody on the planet that admits it is actually
> doing that, and if the tuning of the rear duplex is critical to the
> proposed enhanced sound it provides, how can it be that any tuned rear
> duplex in any piano out there is doing what the proponents claim tuned rear
> duplexes do?

Hmmm.. your last question is a kind of strange one... because it asks how some
condition (which can not exist, by your reasoning, in the first place) can result
in a given effect which can only exist if the first condition exists...which it
cant... if you are correct... grin. Kind of a no win situation for the other guys.
hehe..

What I would like to know is whether or not the results claimed by the proponets of
the tuned rear duplex idea are indeed resultant given that the conditions can and
do exist, even hypothetically.  After answering that then we could get into whether
or not its feasable in real life or not, or even worth it.

I will read through the patent supplied by Clark tonite.... sigh... so much to do
all the time...:)

> Ron N

Cheers.

By the way Ron. Schimmel offers a grand with a so called Triplex system.  Now this
is a really neat term you see as it bundles both the front and rear duplexes, and
the speaking length into one holistic system. Which is one of the reasons I asked a
bit ago about any possibility of the front and back duplex lengths having any
effect on each other.   Yes.... you heard it right... the Triplex system by
Schimmel...  sounds great doesnt it ? If I remember correctly the back lengths are
uniformly tuned to octave intervals of the speaking length. I dont remember about
the front duplex on this... tho I suppose I can find out if anyone is interested.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.