Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:49:04 -0600

Susan, Ric,

> In the end if the tension of the duplex length is not the same
>as the rest of the string it would seem one is asking for an untuned
>piano.

This is precisely the condition that we leave in every piano that we have
ever tuned. Leaving equal tensions in every segment in any one string we
tune is wildly unlikely, much less for an entire piano.

>Now if one accomplishes this by some massage proceedure then
>fine, but if this is used to "tune" a duplex at the expence of said
>even tensions... then it sounds like trouble with a capital T.
>
>Richard Brekne

As stated, the massage procedure was an attempt to force strings through
high friction points to more nearly equalize segment tensions, not to tweak
tuning. I thought this had been explained pretty thoroughly, and repeatedly.

Ron N