Duplex

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 01:26:41 +1100

Dave and Duplex-Dan,

Dan wrote:

>. . . The duplex can be way out of tune and many pianists as well as
>audience may
>not mind.

Similar to some concert tunings and CD recordings. And sure, a number
of pianists are just 'key pushers' and similarly with regard to
audiences, many will be cloth-eared. But there will always be a
couple who can hear.

>Your note does include an interesting idea that has been used successfully by
>tuners who tune duplex scales.
>The idea of "massaging" the duplex scale.

Yes Dave well said. But it has been mentioned on this list before.
Maybe you weren't paying attention DD.

>Basically what this is is stretching, as when putting new strings on a
>stringed instrument. This does bring the string down and provide a stretch
>and evenness to the string .

I don't agree - I've gone through this all before on the list - twice at least.
What if the duplex tension was low and the block too close to the
bridge also, causing the duplex pitch to be sharp even though the
duplex tension is low? Will rubbing the duplex segment to tune it by
lowering its pitch 'provide a stretch and evenness' as you put it? No
- by rubbing the duplex length in this situation to tune it, the
duplex tension would be rubbed down to be even lower in tension,
relative to that of the speaking length. If the situation as
described (at paragraph start) were to occur, assuming that the
duplex and speaking length were in fact tuned at the previous tuning
by rubbing and not moving the block, the speaking length would creep
flat as the duplex went sharp (since the duplex tension would be
lower). This creep would gradually occur since the changing dimension
of the hygroscopic bridge cap, which causes the strings to rise and
fall while in contact with the bridge pin (as Ron N so beautifully
described in his Reno bridge class), would encourage the string to
creep across the bridge cap slowly in an effort to equalise the
tension on either side of the bridge (you see Ron N, while you were
discussing vertical bridge movement in your class and its
predisposition to falseness, I was thinking off topic about its
relevance to the way in which string creep occurs when the string
segments aren't at uniform tension - I had previously understood the
reason, but not the facilitating agent for string creep at the bridge
- and no, DD, creep will not occur around the hitch pin since the
steel hitch pin is not hygroscopic). This would cause the duplex to
go sharp and the speaking length flat. This would tell us that the
block is too close to the bridge. Is that all as clear as mud in a
beer bottle now? You see, if you were to rub the duplex to lower the
pitch without moving the block, the unequal tension would in this
case be made more unequal. Hence the tuning stability would be worse
not better. On the other hand, since we determined that the block was
too close the bridge, when we move the block away from the bridge,
the duplex pitch drops maybe going through pitch to flat, then we rub
the speaking length to bring the duplex up into tune. What happens if
we move the block too far away from the bridge when we adjust it.
Well when we rub the speaking length we will have to rub too hard to
get the duplex up, causing the duplex tension to be too high even
though it is in tune. During the inter-tuning period, the reverse
will occur, the duplex will go flat while the speaking length goes
sharp. What do we do then at the next tuning (when we find out that
we stuffed up last time), we move the block back in closer to the
bridge, by what we hope is about half of the original adjustment. And
on it goes - incremental refinement is the name of the game.

>But as to the application of this stretching to
>a tuning job, I can not recommend it if it is used in lieu of placement of
>the harmonic bridge.

Yes and no! Massaging the string cannot be used in lieu of moving the
block, or vice versa. The two procedures must be used together as
described in the previous paragraph, with an understanding of what's
actually happening regarding the string tension on both sides of the
bridge. But it should ideally be done at the time of a subsequent
tuning. In my experience, it is necessary to return to a previously
tuned piano (and I mean tuned with a proper hammer technique - not a
tuning where the 'tuner' is swinging the pitch all over the place
like a flag in a breeze), in order to fully understand where the
string segment tensions and the block positions are at. It is when
the piano is subsequently retuned after a solid and accurate tuning
that we get to understand which blocks are positioned correctly and
which they are not - by reading the string creep across the bridge.
When the bridge creep ceases, and it will eventually if the designer
and builder have done their bit properly, you know you've finally
arrived. That is, provided that the piano scale was designed in such
a manner that the percentage of breaking strain is uniform from note
to note - provided that the information was transferred accurately
from the CAD drawing to the real world piano, then the piano just
might stay in tune - provided that hammer technique . . . . . .
.provided that the pin block is  . . .provided that. . . Isn't this
fun !!

>The duplex portion of the string is comparatively short and the most
>effective method of tuning this segment, and having it stay in tune is to
>adjust the placement of the harmonic bridge (duplex) to a point on the plate
>that promotes a fundamental duplex tone that is in harmony with the speaking
>length.

 From my experience, yes and no. Sure we want to achieve an in tune
duplex segment, but moving the blocks alone won't get you there with
stability. You cannot achieve tuned duplex stability by moving the
blocks alone without also massaging the wire (on whatever side of the
bridge is determined to be appropriate). It would not be possible to
just move the blocks around to achieve a tuning of the duplexes,
without also taking stock of what's also happening with regard to
duplex tension. One cannot just use a simplistic approach to this
stuff. Paolo Fazioli was the first person to bring tuning of the
duplexes to my attention back in 1994, when I spent days at the
factory with Hiener Sanwald discussing this and many other matters. I
believe that it takes experience doing it combined with a modicum of
thinking it through, when working with duplex tuning to understand
what is happening. If we are going to discuss this stuff, then let's
think through what is actually happening DD. It was only a couple of
weeks ago when you were calling  the front-detuning fraternity the
naysayers, not a particularly helpful turn of phrase perhaps. Well I
can tell you DD that some of those 'naysayers' have thought about
this stuff for years as I'm sure you have too, and some of them have
even gone to the trouble of building pianos of their own, after
rebuilding everyone elses stuff for about fifteen years for a
backgrounding - while modifying the manufacturers products all the
while to prove or disprove a point. (Steinway Hamburg seem to have
heard of our little 'workshop of ill repute', judging from some of
the grapevine comment that has returned over the years, and their
threats of legal action for modifying their precious designs. Once in
1996 I was accused of using non-Steinway agraffes in a D, but they
were Steinway New York agraffes instead of Steinway Hamburg - I had
tried to get Hamburg agraffes but the relationship had gotten so
frosty with Hamburg that the local dealer wouldn't supply. I never
did get to tell them what really happened, but then again would they
have listened? - talk about the left hand not knowing about the right
hand) Anyhow, so called enquiry can come occasionally with its
unwanted pressures, even if we are only involved in the tiny piano
industry - I digress. Furthermore DD, some of those 'naysayers' have
deliberately sought out folks who disagree them along the way so that
they might, together, slog it out to reach some sort of truth -
though occasionally only a truce. Several months ago John Hartman and
I had a disagreement on this list, in which it became obvious that we
both had very different yet strongly held views about bridge capping.
Now, after further reading some of John's Journal articles on other
topics, I have come to understand that he is a very knowledgeable
technician. Sure there are differences in approach between us which
are still very much I suspect as they were, but I would very much
like to have a frank and friendly discussion with John at some future
time - it would be interesting I'm sure. We don't have to all agree,
but at least we should all think about why we think the way we do.
Let's at least think about the parameters we are dealing with here
before taking off irretrievably on our particular tangents. You never
know, sometimes we think we're saying something different, when
closer attention can reveal that occasionally, two different folks
can be saying the same thing from opposite sides of the fence (or the
ditch), without realising that there are more similarities than
differences. I'll shut up now - keyboard's due for an oil change.

Hey Terry, how's that jpeg coming along? Yes Ron N. soon I'll compose
a draft on the pare.

Ron O.

--
Overs Pianos