Noisy Young Chang

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:26:18 +0000

At 8:39 PM -0800 11/16/01, Susan Kline wrote:

>How about making the backrail cloth narrower, by putting an
>underlayer of felt under the middle, like some nice old grands had?
>Do you have enough leeway to make the backrail cloth thicker by
>adding a second layer?

Even if he appears to have the 'leeway', there are many consequences
to raising the specified depth of the backtouch and far more work
would ensue from doing this than from achieving exactly the right
backtouch height using softer materials.

The really nice really old grands and uprights had the backtouch
built up of several strips of a hairy open-textured baize laid on the
back rail and covered with a wider strip of boxcloth glued to the
back rail along both edges.  This gives a very absorbent but
resilient backtouch.  This baize is no longer to be had, but strips
of 1 mm boxcloth can be used instead.  I quite often do it this way,
though it is a longer job.

Ron N. mentioned sizing the balance holes, and certainly a loy of
noise can come from the keys jumping up and down on the pins and no
key-keeper can eliminate this altogether.

The back rail should also be tapped to make sure it is perfectly flat
on the key-bottom.

JD