Duplex

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:10:58 EST

Richard Brekne
Dear RicB

Your call for proof is well taken, but if I may I would like to put in a word
for proving something to yourself, especially as a preamble to proving it to
anyone else.

I got interested in tuning duplex scales many years ago working as a chipper
in a Steinway rebuilding factory. I came to believe in it and I did alot of
research on it. But I felt that just proving it to myself wasn't enough. I
felt that if it is for real, I must be able to prove it to another technician
in some objective way. That's when I developed the idea of doing an
experiment.

The results of this experiment were published in the May 1995 issue of the
Journal under the article title "A Tuner's 10-Year Tonal Treasurehunt". My
data was rough but ready. I am not a scientist, I am a practical technician,
so my data was limited by my inexperience in academia. However, the results
were so clear and so poignant that I believed they could be considered
objective proof of the value of  tuning the duplex scale.

I proved it to myself with my data, but apparently this wasn't enough to
prove it to our world. And that is as it should be. We need more and better
proof. The inclusion of this feature in many new pianos attests to the belief
of many scale designers that a tuned duplex enhances the tone of the piano,
but it doesn't prove it. It only proves that alot of serious people believe
in it.

I would very much be interested in "poifecting" the experimental techniques i
used or at least making some contribution to someone elses experimental
program. Your point of view is encouraging and perhaps may be quite valuable
in the future, depending on who does the "poifecting".

Duplexdan.