key levelling -- crown?

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 05:44:14 0000

Susan,
I don't know if it's been built but one of the earliest
American piano patents (in the 1830's?) was for just
such a keyboard.  I could dig up the number if you like.
I've never seen this on a piano but plenty of times on
organ keyboards.  I don't know how it would go over.
Pianists spend many hours a day for several years training
their hands and arms to know just where the keys are.  If
you move them they're not going to like it, even if in
theory it should be nicer for them.  It's like designing
a better typewriter or computer keyboard.  Great in theory
but most of us don't want to learn to type all over again.
We'll just live with the somewhat inferior system that
we're used to.

Phil
---
Phillip Ford