using beats to tune

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:32:33 EST

In a message dated 11/16/01 1:51:05 AM, remoody@midstatesd.net writes:

<< inharmonicity was not understood to be a factor until the late 1930's at
the earliest. >>

Thanks for all the interesting historical info.  The Jorgensen book is on my
list of things to buy; it sounds like a fascinating and enlightening read.

The thing that got me started thinking about this was the temperament known
as Equal BEATING Victorian Temperament.  I would assume that the tuners using
this temperament would be listening to beats;  hence the name.  And assuming
this temperament was actually in use during the Victorian Age, that would
pre-date 1917, which contradicted the comments posted earlier about beats not
be used to tune prior to 1917.

Tom Sivak