key levelling -- crown?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:15:44 -0500

Well put David. And you are right about old Steinways - you sure can =
make nice pianos out of 'em!

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kdivad@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 9:53 PM
  Subject: Re: key levelling -- crown?

  In a message dated 11/15/2001 6:55:22 PM Central Standard Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    How many times has the name Steinway been mentioned in this thread?=20
    Marketing Department. Just do something a little different, even if =
for no=20
    reason. Then people will need to say Steinway this, Steinway that, =
why does=20
    Steinway do it that way, why don't others....... And there ya go to =
have the=20
    others, and then you have Steinway. I guarantee you that back in =
1878 there=20
    were a bunch of three piece suits sitting around the big walnut =
table at=20
    Steinway trying to figure out ways to put the name Steinway on =
eveyone's=20
    lips.=20

    Just my cynical take.=20

    Terry Farrell=20

  Terry, not cynical, but realistic.  there are so many "sales myths" =
floating,  finally, some of us are looking at facts not myths.  Please =
do not get me wrong, I have been in love with the "Steinway sound" =
forever, but I have been aware of their myths at the same time.  How do =
you tune the duplexes if in each section it is a solid bar?  I have come =
to realize that most of us (technicians) rely upon tradition,myths and =
personal ego!!!  A lot of our restoration techniques are built around =
tradition rather than fact. If tradition works I love it but I am always =
ready to except something better. As science and communication improves =
we can only make and restore better pianos. The most valuable thing the =
PTG gives me is an open door for people, people who have been hiding =
their knowledge, to open up and teach.=20
  Oh, and by the way have you got any old Steinways for sale, cheap???=20
  David Koelzer=20
  DFW=20