key levelling -- crown?

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:53:31 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2001 6:55:22 PM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> How many times has the name Steinway been mentioned in this thread?
> Marketing Department. Just do something a little different, even if for no
> reason. Then people will need to say Steinway this, Steinway that, why does
> Steinway do it that way, why don't others....... And there ya go to have the
> others, and then you have Steinway. I guarantee you that back in 1878 there
> were a bunch of three piece suits sitting around the big walnut table at
> Steinway trying to figure out ways to put the name Steinway on eveyone's
> lips.
>
> Just my cynical take.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry, not cynical, but realistic.  there are so many "sales myths" floating,
 finally, some of us are looking at facts not myths.  Please do not get me
wrong, I have been in love with the "Steinway sound" forever, but I have been
aware of their myths at the same time.  How do you tune the duplexes if in
each section it is a solid bar?  I have come to realize that most of us
(technicians) rely upon tradition,myths and personal ego!!!  A lot of our
restoration techniques are built around tradition rather than fact. If
tradition works I love it but I am always ready to except something better.
As science and communication improves we can only make and restore better
pianos. The most valuable thing the PTG gives me is an open door for people,
people who have been hiding their knowledge, to open up and teach.
Oh, and by the way have you got any old Steinways for sale, cheap???
David Koelzer
DFW