key levelling -- crown?

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:41:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Neuman" <piano@charlesneuman.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: key levelling -- crown?

> Those explanations involving eventually compressed punchings make sense.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles

Oh, no they don't!!

Why not set the keys level and when they sag readjust them?  Now that makes
sense.

I market a key leveling system based on a straight edge. I've done
technicals about it and someone always  says  " It won't work for Steinways,
cause they put a 1/16 hump in the middle."

Ron had it right.  There is a hump in the keybed.  S'way is the only one I
know that does that.  It's to make sure that there is contact between the
bed and the action (action is humped upside down.). The cheek blocks must be
screwed down at all times to have the action in the right place.  I was told
by a s'way rep that the 1/16 inch may not be precise, but the keys must be
leveled for what ever it is. If the keys were leveled there would be a
problem with the amount of distance between the key bottom and the front
rail, etc.

A s'way rep at Reno told me there was an additional reason for the hump.  It
is stronger because it is an arch.  Could anybody tell me how much strength
would be added by putting a 1/16 inch arch in 48 inches?

Anyway, by clamping a s'way action to a flat table and using my system or
any other and leveling the keys dead flat,  then clamping the same action in
a humped key bed, the same hump will appear at the key heights.

My take on this subject is that a concept that makes no sense has been
around for so long that it has a life of it's own.  Just look at how many
have been taken in by the idea that felt compression is the reason they did
this.  I think Steinway just delights in driving me crazy.

Arggggggg!

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@home.com