Tuning Duplex

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:02:05 +0000

At 10:12 AM -0600 11/15/01, David M. Porritt wrote:
>Dan:
>
>I was thinking of your post while tuning a Steinway this morning.  If
>Ted Steinway thought so much of the duplex idea (actually tonally as
>opposed to as a marketing ploy) why did he make the duplex device not
>individually tunable.  When you cast the duplex oliquot as he did you
>assume a precision of plate casting, bridge placement and notching
>(both front and back) that just doesn't happen.  If you can really
>get the first and last notes of an oliquot plate "in tune" the rest
>of the notes are at the mercy of the above mentioned precision that
>just doesn't happen in these one-of-a-kind, hand-made pianos.

There's nothing "one-of-a-kind" about string plates and provided the
pattern is accurate then the horizontal relations between points will
be identical in every casting.  The only variation possible is in the
thickness of the casting owing to variations in the closing of the
boxes and quality control would reject any castings beyond certain
tolerances.

As to long bridge placement and notching, what variation have you
actually detected and recorded, as opposed to merely presuming?

Even if there should be minute discrepancies in the fixed
relationship between the front partials and the speaking length,
these can be compensated for in a minute difference in tension
applied to them, which, owing to friction, will not travel past the
bearings any more than the huge errors left by most tuners in the
tension of the partials.

I did ask Dan to publish the original patent so that some semblance
of objectivity and science could be brought to this wandering and
opinionated thread and a few comparative oscillographs would speak
far more convincingly than anything I've read so far.  I notice that
as soon as I brought a few numbers into the "all in a row" thread,
the silence was deafening!

JD