key levelling -- crown?

Doug Atkins ATKINSD@cedarville.edu
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:42:03 -0500

Charles, Some claim that the middle of the piano gets used the most
so, the punchings in that area will compress more over time with the
added use. Look at it as a preventative setting.

Doug Atkins
Registered Piano Technician
Cedarville University
937.766.7566
atkinsd@cedarville.edu

>>> Charles Neuman <piano@charlesneuman.net> 11/15/01 12:00PM >>>
I just learned that when levelling white keys, some people put a small

amount of crown in the key heights, maybe 1/32". What's the point of
it?
And does 1/32" really make any difference?

The only reason I can think of now is that it might have some subtle
visual effect. If it's some ergonomic thing, I would think it would be

much more than 1/32".

Charles Neuman

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.3019.2500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=1>Charles, Some claim that the middle of the piano gets used the
most so, the punchings in that area will compress more over time with the added
use. Look at it as a preventative setting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Doug Atkins<BR>Registered Piano Technician<BR>Cedarville
University<BR>937.766.7566<BR><A
href="mailto:atkinsd@cedarville.edu">atkinsd@cedarville.edu</A></FONT><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;
Charles Neuman &lt;piano@charlesneuman.net&gt; 11/15/01 12:00PM &gt;&gt;&gt;
<BR>I just learned that when levelling white keys, some people put a small
<BR>amount of crown in the key heights, maybe 1/32". What's the point of it?
<BR>And does 1/32" really make any difference? <BR><BR>The only reason I can
think of now is that it might have some subtle <BR>visual effect. If it's some
ergonomic thing, I would think it would be <BR>much more than 1/32".
<BR><BR>Charles Neuman <BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>