key levelling -- crown?

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:37:34 -0400

Hi,
My understanding of the crown, is that the centre is the most played on, =
and this is where the felts would be compressed the most. So to beat =
that problem, a crown is put in the centre, and with playing it settles, =
straight.
I just accepted that as fact, it may or not be correct.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 3:06 PM
  Subject: Re: key levelling -- crown?

  In a message dated 11/15/01 11:07:04 AM Central Standard Time, =
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:=20

    I just learned that when levelling white keys, some people put a =
small=20
    amount of crown in the key heights, maybe 1/32". What's the point of =
it?=20
    And does 1/32" really make any difference?=20

    The only reason I can think of now is that it might have some subtle =

    visual effect. If it's some ergonomic thing, I would think it would =
be=20
    much more than 1/32".=20

    Charles Neuman=20

  Charles=20

  Steinway recommends a 1/32" crown. I have a key level stick that has =
two sides, a straight side and on with a 1/32" crown. Some pianos have =
the crown. Others don't. I don't know if it makes all that much of a =
difference, but if there is a crown, keep it. If not, don't put one in.=20

  Wim=20