Charging overtime

DALE ERWIN erwinpiano@msn.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:52:03 -0800

Hey Clyde

   I like it when piano techs. talk good business sense. It shows the val=
ue of our time and personal life and rejects the notion that we are some =
kind of  willing charitable organization!! =20

   Dale
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: Clyde Hollinger
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 4:17 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Charging overtime
 =20
OK, I'll let you know what's been going through my mind these last severa=
days.  Suppose all local piano technicians have all the work they need fo=
r the
next several months, and a new client calls and needs a tuning done withi=
n two
weeks.  All technicians say they can't do it because they are fully booke=
d.
What is that client to do?  I have not checked with other local technicia=
ns to
see how busy they are, but I am taking new client orders for next March.

I think if a new client were willing to pay more (an "overtime" rate so t=
speak), then I would just take personal time and go do the job.  I did su=
ggest
this to one person recently, and I actually charged on this basis once, w=
hen I
was called on a Friday night to tune a piano before a Saturday wedding.  =
The
clients were grateful they could find someone who would do the job on sho=
rt
order even at a higher cost.  I charged 50% more than my normal rate.

Thoughts?  Do any of you do this?

Regards,
Clyde

Farrell wrote:

> I've had the same thought in the past. I think that when I am too busy =
with
> service appointments, I will raise my price quite a bit for first-time
> appointments, but then discount those that repeat at least once a year.=
 But