Seiler Pianos

Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:09:20 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >I must admit that I'm a little bit put off by their use of terms like
> >"mem-brator" and "tonal stabilizer" in their advertising. Is the
> >"mem-brator" soundboard really an innovation, or is it just an advertising
> >term? Are other designers using anything similar in their soundboard
> >designs? I must admit that I don't even know what a "tonal volume
> >stabilizer" is.
> ----------------
> >Keith Jones, Associate Member, PTG
>
> I don't know much about the Seilers specifically, since I don't have any
> among my clientele, but their Membrator System seems to consist of routing
> a channel partially through the top of the soundboard panel following the
> inner rim perimeter. It's intended to function as a sort of hinge to allow
> the soundboard more freedom of movement.

This is correcto... We have just such an instrument here at the University. Your
description is to a tee.. the "channel" is about 2 mm deep and 10 wide, and off
the rim by about 15... I can measure the exact distances if anyone wants them.

> Not a bad idea, in my opinion,
> especially in the bass. Certainly better than diaphragmming panels in
> compression crowned boards (quicker too), especially in the treble, though
> I can't say for sure what it does for rib crowned systems.

Actually the bass in this instrument is outstanding.... really nice and the higher
discant is quite beautiful as well.. But the mid area of the piano sounds like one
of those cheap recordings where the middrange is turned wayyyy up.  And there is
some really weird para-inharmonicity going on from about A3 to C6.  Sorta sounds
like a bad killer octave that extends through the entire middle range of the
piano. I dont think you would like it much.

> Don't know what their tone stabilizer is unless it's a cutoff bar. The
> advertising I have doesn't indicate. I do think their magnet system in the
> verticals is clever, though again, I can't say first hand how effective it is.

Havent seen any magnets in the Vertical we have... but its around 10 years old. It
has the same basic tonal characteristics as the grand otherwise.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.