Charging overtime

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:29:24 EST

In a message dated 11/15/01 6:16:14 AM Central Standard Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

> I think if a new client were willing to pay more (an "overtime" rate so to
> speak), then I would just take personal time and go do the job.  I did
> suggest
> this to one person recently, and I actually charged on this basis once,
> when I
> was called on a Friday night to tune a piano before a Saturday wedding.  The
> clients were grateful they could find someone who would do the job on short
> order even at a higher cost.  I charged 50% more than my normal rate.
>
> Thoughts?  Do any of you do this?

Clyde

On an "emergency" tuning, I think you have the right to charge whatever
increase in your rate you feel comfortable with. And by the same token, a
person who does call for a last minute tuning should expect to pay a
"surcharge" for that service.

As far as charging "overtime" for a new client who wants to schedule a couple
of weeks in advance, I am not sure if I would agree to that. After all, what
is considered overtime? We are self employed. We set our own hours. So what
would be considered working overtime? You either have the time, or not, even
if you have to tune that piano at 8 o'clock in the evening, or on Sunday
afternoon. You do have the right to say NO. How that customer gets her piano
tuned is her problem. She can either wait until March, or, if she is
desperate and needs to have the piano tuned for a special event, refer to the
first paragraph. You can also put the customer on a waiting list for the next
available cancellation.

Wim