Mold in Pianos

w peterson wpeterson2@socal.rr.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:00:09 -0800

I have had a lot of experience with molds, and they can be deadly, =
especially if you are allergic to them.  Symptoms can include sinus =
problems, fuzz balls developing in your lungs and sinus cavities.  They =
have to cut out lobes of your lungs, and scrape your sinus cavities etc. =
  There are no gentle treatments for molds.  Prendisone is the preferred =
treatment,along with surgery.  Sometime it is necessary to do a surgery =
just to find the mold.  I am no doctor, but if it is a black mold it =
could be aspergilis or worse.  Treatment sometimes involves removing =
lobes of your lung. Asthma and bronchial problems are very commonly  due =
to molds.  You can do a search for molds and find out more.  I am not a =
doctor, but I have done extensive reading on them, as I have an attack =
of allergic aspergilis mold.  The problem is diagnosing .  Most Drs are =
not familiar with the symptoms and can miss them. Treatment with =
prendisone is the next thing to a death sentence.  The State has testing =
labs for mold contamination.  I would not touch the piano, and it would =
cost to much to have it tested and your are probably at great risk not =
to test it.  Bill Peterson former South Bay Chapter.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Helmsmusic@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 7:38 PM
  Subject: Mold in Pianos

  Hello -=20

  I am working with a 1915 Cable-Nelson upright piano which my client =
recently bought from someone who had stored it in their basement. The =
piano has what appears to be two different types of mold growing inside =
the cabinet. One type is black and very flat, and seems to be mostly =
attacking the wood parts - keys, cabinet, damper heads, etc. The other =
type is white and grows in small fuzzy clumps, and is mostly on the =
damper felts. The piano owner is allergic to mold, so we need to get rid =
of this problem one way or another (I would advocate getting rid of the =
piano, but she wants to keep it). Do you have suggestions for cleaning =
mold out of a piano so it won't re-appear? Are there different =
treatments for different types of mold? Would spraying Lysol inside the =
piano do any good, or even be advisable? Even though I'm not allergic, =
could working on pianos like this one pose a threat to my health? This =
is not the first piano I've seen with mold problems, and I always =
recommen! d ! installation of a Dampp-Chaser system, but getting rid of =
what's already in there is the big concern for me. Thanks!=20

  -Scott Helms, RPT=20
  West Michigan Chapter=20