Back to Hide Glue - was: AcryliKey II Feedback - Afterwards

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:53:04 -0500

Hi Clyde. I might be stretching my expertise a bit here, but I think I'm on
the right track. The recent post that indicated that if the hide glue has
not been "attacked by mold", it should still be good, was referring to glue
still in the pot and that it can still be used for gluing something. It was
not referring to glue that has been applied and has dried. I don't think
mold is a problem on hide glue that has dried.

Your questions are good. I presume hide glue was often used on jack flanges.
I guess hide glue has a well documented history of moving toward failure
after 70 or so years (jack flanges, loose bridges, detached soundboards and
ribs, etc.). I wonder what it is that happens to hide glue with age that
causes failure?

I've had a glue pot for a couple years, but only tried the hot glue once.
What a sticky mess! But I guess I need to get it under control because I
want to be using the appropriate glue for key bushings, etc.

Terry Farrell